Writing a post after a very very long time 😀.
Last month my wife asked me about if Gramophone records are still available, as a child she had seen them playing and wondered if we can still get them today. This is when all the craze about collecting records started !
After a month, I now have 25 Vinyl records in my collection, mostly Bollywood movies. The below review is about my shopping experience on different websites that I have bought records from, pricing, new vs old records. I am still new to Vinyl records collection, so this information may change at later point.
New Bollywood Records
You can get records under this category for new Bollywood movies like Tiger Zinda Hain, Jab Tak Hain Jaan and others, 90's music is also available under this category with movies like Dil Ka Kya Kasoor, Phool aur Kaante others.
Old movies are also available in new records, movies like Jawani Diwani, Gambler, Joney Mera Naam others are available.
Old Bollywood Records
Old / Original pressing Bollywood records are available on internet on different pricing depending on their condition, which includes condition on the sleeve for the record. There are standard that are prescribed for both Vinyl records and their sleeve Gradings that each seller need to follow, the Gradings are as follows
- Near Mint ( NM or M-) - A nearly perfect record. The record shows no obvious signs of wear.
- VG+ - Will show some signs that it was played.
- VG - Noticeable groove wear and light scratches. Surface noise will not overpower the music.
- G+ - Can play without skipping, significant scratches, surface noise, groove wear.
This is a very tricky question, when digital recording was not available, then analog recordings are the closest that you will every get to what the music director wanted it to be. That said, the technology is pretty old and there has been no updates to it for decades now, recordings on tapes have been there for ages now.
New Records are available from
- Saregama - they have the largest collection of records across generations, they old records are pretty awesome and you can buy VG+ graded records, but they come with a price that will hit your pockets. The new Vinyls are pathetic and I don't recommend them at all, you can skip any old record presented by Saregama through SONY DADC. The Records are available from Rs 1499 onwards, some are sold at a very HIGH price, like that for Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar movie is available for Rs 7999.
- Tips - Tips also has a good collection of movies with them, the pressing company again here is SONY DADC which does not do a good job either with record or even the record cover. I personally don't recommend them, but if you want some 90's music, then you can add to your collection.
- Universal - this one is GOOD !, they also have a very good collection of movies. The pressing is great for all the records that I have and I would suggest to buy new records of OLD movies that they release. Some records are sold for very High Price, SAAGAR and SHOLAY are available for Rs 4999 onwards.
- T-Series - have not tried yet.
- Yash Raj Music - have not tried yet.
To begin with, I started buying records for whatever price they were available, just wanted to get some for playing, but now I only buy if I get the correct price and also more importantly for old records, correct grading ( Only VG+ and above).
Post a Comment